What is dress fabric?
Dress fabric or dress material is a general term for any kind of textile which can be used for making dresses and other kinds of apparel. When choosing dress fabric online, you will be met with a wide selection of options varying in weight, design, construction and styles. There are certain fabrics which are more suited to dressmaking, some which are better for suits and jackets, and others which are best for sportswear or trousers.
Dress fabric is always a popular choice with sewers, and these are some of the more favored dressmaking fabrics:
How is it manufactured?
Dressmaking fabric is either knitted or woven and can be constructed from natural and animal fibres, such as cotton, silk, flax, wool or hemp; or synthetic fibres, such as nylon, polyester or acrylic.
Woven fabrics are made up of a weft (the thread going across the width of the fabric) and a warp (the thread going down the length of the loom). There are 3 types of woven fabrics: plain, twill, and satin. Knitted fabrics come as weft-knitted and warp-knitted, and can be knitted by hand or machine.
Purposes of dress fabric
Dress fabric refers to textiles which are most suitable for when it comes to clothes and dressmaking. As there are so many kinds of clothing available, there are also many types of dress material.
It is important to consider the purpose of the dress of clothing you are planning to make. Is it formal? Casual? High-end? Does it need to have any particular functions, such as resistance to water or creases? Does it need to be durable and easy to clean? Every fabric has specific purposes and these need to be researched before a project is started.
From silk dress fabric for creating stunning, luxurious silk dresses to wedding dress fabric for creating the dress of your dreams, there are many properties for dress material.
- Cotton – very versatile, woven cotton comes in many different weights, often used for as cotton dress fabric, for shirts, skirts, trousers, jeans and accessories
- Cotton jersey/knit – knitted by machine, very popular for t-shirts and other apparel, stretchy and comfortable
- Linen – variety of weights, easily creased, often blended with cotton, great for summer clothing
- Silk – luxurious, slippery, glossy face, woven fabric, which can be difficult to sew, used for blouses, dresses and underwear etc.
- Polyester and polycotton – synthetic fabric or synthetic and natural blend, generally lightweight, durable and crease resistant, woven, used for all manner of apparel
Advantages of dress fabric
You can purchase dress fabric online very easily or visit dress fabric shops. If you are unsure of what fabric is right for your project, why not order a selection of test prints or a swatch pack which will give you a better idea of the properties of each one?
The advantages of dressmaking fabric are wide and varied. You have the option of choosing the perfect fabric to suit your occasion, body type and budget. Opt for slinky and comfortable jerseys for all day, easy wear, elegant silks, and satins for a luxe and high-end feel, or even cotton dress fabric for a natural and durable finish.